Main | Encyclopedia | Chat Room

Jurassic Park Legacy Forums  

Go Back   Jurassic Park Legacy Forums > Jurassic Park Continuity > Comics

Comics Journey to the land of graphic novels!

Unread 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
JPLegacy Retired/Honorary Staff

_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to _Veritas_ Send a message via MSN to _Veritas_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Veritas_
Default Five Ways They Could Have Avoided Redemption Problems

Here are five different ways that had the creators followed/thought of they could have avoided the problems that Redemption presented.

5.)Better art/more care for the art
First and foremost, let’s get it out of the way. Dyke’s art in the series as a whole was pretty bad. But I’d told that he drew out a rather good unused cover for the series that can be seen in the graphic novel. If this is true I simply wonder why the care wasn’t put into the entire series. I wish it would have, because if the cover is as good as I’ve heard the comics would have been infinitely more fun to read.

4.) The Ludlow wanting revenge plot.
It doesn’t make sense, to me anyway. Ludlow was always out for money, and Hammond never had anything to do with him being attacked by the Tyrannosaurs. The whole “wanting to destroy the Hammond name” was just silly. The fact that Ludlow survived… is mildly bothersome, but something I could live with. But his motivations in the film were never to ruin Hammond, it was to take control of InGen and gain money. They could have simply made that his motivations here as well instead of making him the bad guy.

3.) Dialogue and actions of characters.
The dialogue between characters, and subsequently their actions related to the words that were coming from them were down right campy through the series (ESPECIALLY in the last two comics.) The last two comics made it feel as if the reader was watching an old 50’s style sci-fi/dinosaur film. “You’re insane!” “Oh no, not again!!” It got to the point of being just ridiculous, and it made it hard to get emotionally involved with the characters, as well as maintaining an interest in the story at all. And the inside jokes and references got real old, REAL fast. It would have been nice if it played a vital part to the story, because that would be keeping with canon. But most of the time it was just filler, and it was annoying. One small rant is the fact that Alan and Ellie showed up, which again just seemed to be a nice filler reference. They played no vital role to the story at all.

2.) Keep it canon.
If they had done a little research it would have made the series much better. I mean, referencing both islands is something I can live with, even though Nublar has been dismantled (see deleted board room scene from The Lost World.) But getting Lex’s name wrong (Alexa vs. Alexis) is just sloppy, and proves that not too much research was done. It really does seem like this was more of a reference to the early sci-fi dinosaur films, and not a Jurassic Park comic because there seemed to be no real research or knowledge of the source material showing through in the story. If they wanted to do that kind of a story, by all means it would have been welcomed I’m sure. But once you slap Jurassic Park’s name on it, despite it being imperfect, there is a certain level of expectations people have. Jurassic Park is the movie people think about when dinosaurs are mentioned, and was the highest grossing film (reaching nearly a billion dollars) for four years. And it still holds the record for highest amount spent on advertising (at $65 million.) And then two sequels, several prior comic series,’ and spin off books. Jurassic Park has prestige despite the fact that not everything that was released was good (I.E most of the comic spin-off series.)

1.)Dodgson should have been the main villain.
The story over all could have been saved if this minor adjustment had been made. The way I feel the story should have gone was that Ludlow was still returning from the dead, and helping Tim out (only because he wanted money.) But now Lewis Dodgson had gone “undercover” probably with another alias, and was hired to join the team of the new Jurassic Park. Because he and BioSyn was ruined (in theory) by not getting the embryos that Nedry was supposed to deliver, he holds a harsh grudge against InGen. Now he wants payback, and he starts to release dinosaurs on the town of Glen Rose, Texas.
The story we have now doesn’t make sense. Why would Lew work for InGen/Ludlow? He was not a saboteur in the films; he worked for BioSyn, a rival company that wanted to run InGen into to the ground.

Those are my five ways that I think could have made the series better. Sorry if it seemed like a huge rant, and once again I do thank IDW for giving a crap about the JP franchise when it seemed like nobody else really has been for the past nine years. In fact it seems as though you guys got the ball rolling, between Telltale and what not. But I just wish more care had been given to the series, like the care Byrne seems to show in Devils in the Desert.
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
JPLegacy Moderator

evolution_rex is a name known to allevolution_rex is a name known to allevolution_rex is a name known to allevolution_rex is a name known to all

It think IDW realized they did a bad job. I think that originally they thought they were going to do well with the comic, and planned to do a sequel to the series. Unfortunately they realized how bad it was and instead of making a sequel, they started off fresh with Devils in the Desert.

I think that Redemption will be known as the worst thing that happened to JP. It really should just be ignored at forgotten about. Keep it in the basement so when visitors come they won't see the horrible deformed comic.

Having problems? PM me!
Join my facebook group if you want to talk about movies.
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Tomozaurus is a splendid one to beholdTomozaurus is a splendid one to beholdTomozaurus is a splendid one to beholdTomozaurus is a splendid one to beholdTomozaurus is a splendid one to beholdTomozaurus is a splendid one to behold
Style: JPLegacy Jungle

So basically what your saying is that it was terrible in every way lol.

My Film Rating system:
Spoiler
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:27 AM

awesomeratops is a jewel in the roughawesomeratops is a jewel in the rough
Style: JPLegacy
Send a message via MSN to awesomeratops

If you want I can post the unseen pics for you.
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
JPLegacy Owner/Founder

Tyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond reputeTyrannosaur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Tyrannosaur Send a message via AIM to Tyrannosaur Send a message via MSN to Tyrannosaur Send a message via Yahoo to Tyrannosaur Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrannosaur

I stick to what I said, if IDW wants help with the continuity supervision they should check here with us or hire me on. I'll boot-camp them into how the JP canon works, after ten long years of looking into things and researching the common denominator.

I think it's really a slap to the fans what IDW did with Redemption. It is ironic to note that there are no redeeming qualities to this series. It started off alright and went to shit quick.
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Herrerasaurus

Sinornithosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Sinornithosaurus

Nice post _Veritas_. Very interesting and well-thought-out. However, I'm not sure I'm so keen on your idea of dinosaurs getting released in Glen Rose, since that would be a little too close to home for me.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Corythosaurus

yankeetrex is a glorious beacon of lightyankeetrex is a glorious beacon of lightyankeetrex is a glorious beacon of lightyankeetrex is a glorious beacon of light

would like to see that cover
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:02 AM

_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future_Veritas_ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to _Veritas_ Send a message via MSN to _Veritas_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Veritas_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgoraptor View Post
Nice post _Veritas_. Very interesting and well-thought-out. However, I'm not sure I'm so keen on your idea of dinosaurs getting released in Glen Rose, since that would be a little too close to home for me.
Haha, thanks. But Glen Rose is the town used in the story originally anyway.
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Dinosaur Egg

Xenomrph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Xenomrph Send a message via AIM to Xenomrph Send a message via MSN to Xenomrph

Quote:
even though Nublar has been dismantled (see deleted board room scene from The Lost World.)

I don't remember this at all, could you elaborate on it?
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Dinoslayer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Veritas_ View Post
1.)Dodgson should have been the main villain.
The story over all could have been saved if this minor adjustment had been made. The way I feel the story should have gone was that Ludlow was still returning from the dead, and helping Tim out (only because he wanted money.) But now Lewis Dodgson had gone “undercover” probably with another alias, and was hired to join the team of the new Jurassic Park. Because he and BioSyn was ruined (in theory) by not getting the embryos that Nedry was supposed to deliver, he holds a harsh grudge against InGen. Now he wants payback, and he starts to release dinosaurs on the town of Glen Rose, Texas.
The story we have now doesn’t make sense. Why would Lew work for InGen/Ludlow? He was not a saboteur in the films; he worked for BioSyn, a rival company that wanted to run InGen into to the ground.
This is the main reason for why Redemption failed, it has no coherent villain. Everything else save for the canonity and the art was fairly minor thus forgivable.

As it is this mistake was paid with the loss of the story competence and there is no resolution. And it's sad because this could in fact be the only passable way to get bigger dinosaurs to the mainland, by someone building another park in a location as fans demand more locations than the island now. Yet another mess up in potential. Devils In The Desert has a chance to make up for that mistake as it seems to build itself around Pteranodons in the mainland which makes better sense. You can also add to that a scenario that is mentioned in both Crichton novels about Velociraptors and Compies having found their way to human civilization.